Tuesday, 16 February 2016

Contouring 101.


We all love a bit of contouring don't we? Well, who wouldn't want to look like they were born with cheekbones when in fact you're just trying to hide that large pizza, chicken strippers and cookies you ordered from Dominoes the other night...only me? Okay then.

Contouring has become, to put it bluntly, bloody huge over the past couple of years, with a little bit of help from the Kardashians. I mean, who wouldn't want to look like they're from the most famous family in the world? A lot of people don't have a clue how to sculpt them cheekbones and to be honest, I'm not a pro. I try my best but it's not perfect, I just think (hope to God) it looks decent. By watching loads of YouTube videos and reading a hell of a lot of blog posts, I have tried my best to copy the looks.

I have tried loads of different products and mix them up all the time. I don't tend to stick with one product as I like to try loads of different things. I thought I'd share with you what I'm loving at the moment and how I create my Kim K cheekbones (lol). Most of the products are under a tenner as well which is perfect for those on a low budget.

Step 1: Suck in dem cheekbones.


Finding your natural cheekbones gives you the perfect outline of where to apply your bronzer. Your natural cheekbones usually line up with the top of your ears, but it depends on your face shape. And yes, you will look a little daft pulling a load of faces in the mirror but pfft, gotta do what you gotta do.

 Step 2: Apply bronzer.


I usually create a line with my bronzer when I find my cheekbones. I love using this contour palette from Makeup Revolution and having been using it ever since I bought it. I mix the bottom left two bronzing shades and apply them onto my cheeks using my MAC 168 brush. Now, the brush is a bit more on the pricey side, retailing at £28. The contour palette, however, is a fabulous £8, which makes me happy. 

Step 3: Blend, blend, blend.


It's so important to make sure your contour is blended out. ALWAYS BLEND UPWARDS. Never blend down as it just does not work. Cheekbones are definitely non-existent doing it that way. The bronzing shades in this palette blend so easily and make a subtle but effective contour.

Step 4: Cream highlight.


This step isn't necessary but for a highlight loving gal, I love a bit of glow. I use the Benefit Watt's Up highlighter on the tops of my cheek bones, down my nose, under my eyebrows and on my cupid's bow (the little indent above your lips). I apply this before my powder highlighter so that it lasts longer, as the powder sticks to the cream product and the beautiful champagne colour goes with any highlight.

Step 5: Blush.


Blusher always brightens up a complexion. I love apply blush and I love choosing what blush to wear. Again, I differ between different colours but at the moment, I am loving Sleek's Rose Gold blush, which is only £4.49! I love the colour of this and the fact that it has gold shimmer running through adds a little bit more to that highlight. I love following the line of my contour with my blush as I feel like it defines the cheekbones even more, but you can always just apply it to the apples of your cheeks for that pop of colour.

Step 6: Even more highlight.


Here we go again with the highlight but I just love it. Some of my favourites are the Makeup Revolution highlighters, particularly Golden Lights for only £3 (wooooo). A little really does go a long way though, they are so pigmented so be careful how much you apply. Of course, you can pick any highlighter, I also love MAC's highlighters as well as the two shades on the end of the Makeup Revolution contour palette. Just follow where you applied your cream highlight or if you skipped that step, just apply to the tops of your cheekbones and anywhere else that you fancy. Don't apply it too close to your eyes, however, as this can make your under eyes look a bit weird and shimmery which is not what you want!

Step 7: Clean up.
This stage is also optional because to be honest, I don't always do it. I will when I want a really sharp contour, particularly when I'm going out. I just use my Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer, a cult classic, and apply it underneath my contour line. I have the lightest shade which is actually too light for this, so I would apply a concealer that is more suited to your skin tone and not used for highlighting. I used this concealer for underneath my eyes before I contoured as it really brightens up the area. Then blend in the concealer, but not too much that it covers your contour.

Step 8: Powder.

Always a must. You want to set everything. I use the Rimmel Stay Matte Powder in Transparent all over my face to set all of my make up in place. One addition that I have to make up routine and one that I now love, is using a yellow toned powder under my eyes and where I apply my concealer underneath my contour. I use the yellow shade in the Makeup Revolution contour palette (again, because I LUV IT). I just apply with a Real Techniques contour brush as it is a perfect size for small areas. This shade is amazing for evening out skin tone and setting the concealer as well as brightening that particular area.


I hope this helped you if you're still a bit stuck on where to start with contouring. I'm not a make up artist and probably doing everything wrong but it works for me. Do what you're comfortable with.

Let me know your contouring tips.

Charlotte xxx